THE Stories, no one tells you about
Terracotta Temples of Bishnupur, West Bengal, India
Bishnupur, West Bengal, India, is famous for its 21 terracotta temples built by the Malla Rulers who ruled from 694 AD, starting from King Raghunath till the advent of British. Malla Rulers were Vaishnavites, and hence all the terracotta temples in Bishnupur are of Radha Krishna.
Built in bricks, laterite and terracotta, the marvelous temples at Bishnupur, are mostly of Eka-Ratna type with a single tower upon a sloping roof and a square Garbhagriha. There are porches on each side with three multi-cusped arches (like in Lalji, Kalachand, Radhashayam, Jormandir). There are a few temples with multiple towers of Pancha Ratna types like the Shyam Rai Temple of 1643. The Jor Bangle Temple of 1655 has a distinctive character with two Dochala structures joined together by a Charchala Sikhara at the top. The Rasmancha built in 1600 represents another architectural style with a pyramidal roof standing on a spacious laterite plinth. The sanctum is enclosed by three successive circumambulatory galleries.